Buying an ipad is straightforward. People usually buy whatever is new on the market right? With various newer ipad models, each with its own features and capabilities and a ton of old models floating around on various online and offline stores it gets a bit confusing to choose the best that fits the profile.
It is really important to know what you are going to buy and what you are or should be paying for it. If you are an artist and torn between choosing iPad pro 11 Vs 12.9, this guide will cover both the marvels in detail so that you could make a balanced decision before swiping right.
Since the debut of the iPad Pro back in the year 2015, Apple has been offering two different sizes of this premium-quality tablet. One is the size of a regular iPad (11 inches) and the other is a bigger 12.9-inch variant that you can only get in iPad Pro. The two variants have been essentially the same with the larger variant costing a few hundred more than the smaller one. It is pretty simple on the one hand that you pay more if you need the bigger display. In this article, we are going to have a closer look at what is similar and what’s different in the two most sought-after iPads.
iPad Pro 11 Vs 12.9 for Artists Comparison and Buying Guide
iPad Pro 11 Vs 12.9 For Artists – The commonalities
Going through the comparison table, you’d have known that most of the features of both the tablets have more in common than not. The two tablets come with Apple’s M1 processor, storage options from 128GB to 2TB, 12MP True Depth front camera, same rear camera (12MP wide+10MP Ultrawide), similar speakers and microphones, same Wifi 6 + 5G wireless connectivity, and similar battery life of up to 10 hours.
Both the iPad are the best tablets Apple has ever made. The M1 processor is improved and faster than the A14 that is used in the iPhone 12 and iPad Air. You get splendid Wifi connectivity and the selfie camera got the most deserved upgrade. The M1 processor in both tablets is just as fast as it is on the MacBook. No matter which of the two iPads you opt for, both of them are ridiculously fast and offer powerful performance. Both the iPad 11 inch and iPad Pro 12.9 inches can handle everything you throw at them for many years to come.
iPad Pro 11 Vs 12.9 For Artists – The RAM
The previous-generation iPad Pros had 6GB of RAM but the newer models have 8GB or 16GB considering the storage you choose. You will have 8GB of RAM with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 16GB of RAM with 1TB and 2TB options. In comparison to previously incorporated 6GB RAM, the extra RAM adds an additional 200$ to the overall price.
iPad Pro 11 Vs 12.9 For Artists – The Display
When it comes to the display of both the iPad Pros, there are two main differences that you will notice: the size and the brightness. While iPad Pro 11” has Apple’s Liquid Retina LCD the iPad Pro 12.9” comes with a Liquid Retina XDR display.
Just to be clear, the XDR is nothing new but it’s just a fancy marketing term to try to make the HDR displays sound better than regular HDR displays. However, the display actually is superior to regular HDR displays on other devices. A 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, P3 wide color gamut, 1600 nits peak brightness, true tone, and ProMotion make the display one of the best HDR displays you can get your hands on. It is as par with the best 4K TVs and it makes HDR content look ridiculously incredible.
The iPad Pro 11” as well can handle HDR content pretty well but its peak brightness is 600 nits which doesn’t compare with 12.9” Pro at all. It doesn’t produce enough brightness to make HDR content look like HDR unless you increase the brightness to max. However, with iPad Pro 12.9” that will not be an issue and video content will look stellar and images and applications will be bright, crisp, detailed with impressive life-like rich and vibrant colors. Apple displays are known to make even the most detailed HDR content with the finest highlights – more lifelike than ever!
The Liquid Retina XDR display is the reason that the 12.9” variant costs higher than the 11” model. If you watch a lot of movies or TV shows, the XDR display will surely be worth paying a little extra.
iPad Pro 11 Vs 12.9: The difference in Thickness
Another minor difference that is negligible and hard to notice is that the new display of 12.9” model is slightly thicker than the previous models. It is 0.5mm thicker which is pretty hard to notice but the difference is there. The overall thickness has a little effect on the weight of the device as well.
Due to the thickness difference, Apple has to pinch and pull the latest Magic Keyboard a little bit in order to close nice and clean.
Storage and Price
The iPad Pro 11” starts at 800$ while the 12.9” variant starts at 1100$ but that’s certainly not cheap. But if you consider going higher in terms of storage, the prices are going to make your head spin.
After surfing a ton of websites, eCommerce stores and reading a ton of reviews, we have jotted down a few points as to why you should either of the two models. People mentioned their own reasons for choosing one of the two so here are some of the points that you should consider while making your final decision.The 1TB and 2TB are the most expensive and the reason is the increased RAM. The new iPad Pro has an M1 processor and it also has 8GB RAM but if you are going for 1TB or 2TB it will have 16GB of RAM that will significantly increase the price. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend buying 1TB or 2TB storage with 16GB RAM, 512GB is more than enough but if you can afford it then why not?
Why iPad Pro 11”?
Here are some of the reasons people mentioned as to why you should opt for the iPad Pro 11” model.
- It works well as a secondary device. If you already have a laptop or PC, the iPad Pro 11” is a nice machine to have.
- It is extremely portable and easy to carry around.
- It is lighter and comfortable to use as a tablet and you can hold it with one hand.
- It is budget-friendly compared to the 12.9-inch model and the accessories are cheaper as well.
- It is great for book reading.
- Ipad Pro 11” is a great choice for artists who wants to draw or design on the go.
- Apple M1 chip for next-level performance
- Stunning 11-inch Liquid Retina display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
Why iPad Pro 12.9”?
- The larger screen is a beauty.
- In split-screen mode, it works better than the 11” variant.
- It can work just like a laptop with the Magic Keyboard case.
- The large screen increases productivity and its better at multitasking.
- It is great for creative tasks such as drawing, photo-editing, and video editing thanks to storage and screen real estate.
- It comes with a full-sized keyboard offering you an amazing typing experience. It is better than the keyboard with iPad Pro 11” where they crammed the keys into a limited amount of space.
- It offers enough space to read the book and take notes at the same time when using it in landscape mode.
- Apple M1 chip for next-level performance
- Brilliant 12.9-inch Liquid Retina XDR display with ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color
If you are an artist and are going back and forth between the two models for some time, you should definitely go for 12.9” model. Apple pencil and what Procreate and Affinity apps are capable of, you would love to have this powerful device to draw your imaginations in the perfect possible way.
And to back our suggestion, here are some key factors:
- Canvas size without the feeling of squished.
- You can use it anywhere at home, coffee shop like a tablet on the table or with Magic Keyboard like a laptop.
- An incredible split-screen feature where you can use a ref photo for drawing.
- Great advanced accessories.
- Incredible screen-brightness
We are just hopeful that you must have made up your mind by now. In the end, it comes down to your personal preferences and in Apple’s case, how much you can afford to pay. Going Big with Apple iPad Pro 12.9” and buying the accessories will surely going to cost you about 4K which is not everybody can afford to spend.
Do let us know what you think of the two devices and which one is your favorite of the two. Happy Drawing!!